Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pickled Peppers!

The recent wonderful, marvelous, luscious, rain we have received has really boosted my garden production! If a frost holds off, we'll have a wonderful fall harvest! Today I gathered a basket full of mixed peppers to add to the ones I have already stored in the refrigerator!




I looked up a recipe online for pickled peppers. The one I found had measurements for a single jar at a time instead of a huge amount. I measured to see how many jars I would need by placing the raw peppers inside of the jars.


I then sterilized the jars while I gathered my ingredients: coriander, peppercorns, garlic, apple cider vinegar, honey and salt. (For the exact amounts, see the recipe below). I did a little math and adjusted for the amount of peppers I gathered. I put the pan of ingredients on the stove to prepare and drained the jars on a kitchen towel. The house filled with the aroma of peppers, vinegar and honey!



After the ingredients simmered for 5 minutes, I used tongs to arrange the peppers in the sterilized jars and then filled the jars with the liquid, spooning out the peppercorns, coriander and garlic evenly into each of the three jars.

I processed the pickled peppers in a water bath for 10 minutes then set them out on a towel to cool. I won't be eating these pickled pepper as I am a wimp! My husband is eagerly waiting a week for the flavors to meld before opening a jar. I look forward to his culinary review!





http://www.yumsugar.com/Pickled-Jalapenos-23560096

Pickled Jalapenos
By Anna Monette Roberts, YumSugar
Ingredients
5 whole jalapenos, stabbed 2-3 times with sharp paring knife 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar 1/2 cup filtered water 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorn 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander 1 bay leaf 1 clove of garlic, pounded once 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon honey
Directions
 
To sterilize mason jar: In a very large pot, bring water to a boil. Submerge glass mason jar and lids and continue boiling for at least 12 minutes to sterilize. Use tongs to remove jar and lids, and place on a clean kitchen towel to dry. Keep large pot on the stove to process jar later. To make brine: In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes. To jar jalapenos: Using tongs, remove jalapenos from saucepan and place them into a clean, sterilized mason jar. Pour brine on top, leaving about 1/2 inch of space on top. Apply lid and screw metal band on firmly. To process jar: In the large pot of boiling water, lower jarred jalapenos, submerging jar in at least 2 inches of water. Process for 10 minutes. Use canning tongs to carefully remove hot jar, then set it in a cool, dark place. As jar cools, listen for lid to snap, signaling a proper seal. Wait four to five days before opening jar. (If jar does not seal correctly, then refrigerate once it cools to room temperature and use within two weeks.) Refrigerate upon opening. Discard opened jar of jalapenos after two weeks.

4 comments: