Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Way They Should Go...

It seems as if the watermelon vines grow 5 inches at night! Daily I check to make sure they are inside the garden fence so they won't be eaten by critters. The next day I have to tuck more vines in to keep them safe.

Recently as I was watering, weeding, and picking, I thought about the watermelon vines.  I have to constantly redirect their growth and point them in the right direction to safe places where I won't step on them and there is room for their fruit. The watermelon vines reminded me of children, they constantly want to go their own way and we constantly have to redirect them. We encourage our children and correct them, showing them the way they should go to stay safe and follow God. Often they try to stray away and, like the vine growing through the fence, we have to go after them and bring them back to where they are safe!

Even as adults we feel the "right" to do our own thing and make our own choices! Those choices come with consequences as God tries to poke us back through the fence and in the direction He wants us, His children, to grow. Instead of stamping our foot in rebellion, maybe we should thank Him for His love and correction, leading us to where we are safe in Him!


"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6


Watermelon vine trying to escape!
I need to get busy poking this one back inside!
I must have missed this one several days!

2 comments: