Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Serendipity!

This is my first try at growing watermelons! It started as an experiment; I found a packet of seeds that was packaged for 2005! Being the frugal person that I am, I decided to plant some of the seeds anyway instead of just throwing them out. THEY GREW!!

My next surprise was two large watermelon that just seemed to "appear"! I don't know how I could've missed these melons when they were little, but, one day they were just there! I kept them well watered and excitedly looked forward to the day (a long time from now) when they would be grown-up watermelons and we could eat them!

Yesterday I went out late to gather some greens and a bell pepper for supper. As I walked past my watermelon, I notices ants all over it......there was a small split! With feelings of frustration, I picked the cantelope-sized melon, brushed off the ants and put it in the refrigerator. Why would it develop a split like that when it wasn't ready yet? How dare the ants get on my precious watermelon!

Today I washed and cut it open; it was beautiful! The melon was at its peak of ripeness. It was wonderfully sweet! I guess it was fully grown even at this small size.

Once again I am amazed at God's goodness. Did he orchestrate this event? Even if he didn't, he has blessed me with the ability to be awed by the wonder of His world! What serendipitous moment awaits for me today?


OLD seeds!
Found seeds!



My little watermelon!

So sweet!

1 comment: